St Patrick's Coatbridge
St Patrick's is located in Coatbridge and is part of the Roman Catholic Diocese of Motherwell.
Vigil 17:00, 10:00, 12:00 and 17:00 streamed live.
Mon, Tue, Fri & Sat 10.00 am. Thur 7.00pm streamed live.
Church open for Exposition
09.30 until 09.55 each morning (except Thursdays).
Thursday 18.00 to 18.45.
Friday and Saturday after the 10am Mass.
1845 – 1847 Rev William Walsh
1847 – 1893 Rev Michael O’Keeffe
1893 – 1903 Rev John McCay
1903 – 1931 Rev John Geerty
1931 – 1951 Rev Daniel Colvin
1952 – 1958 Rev John Charles Battel
1959 – 1962 Rev Peter Sexton
1962 – 1977 Rev William Duddy
1977 – 1983 Rev Peter McCann
1983 – 1988 Rev Alphonsus Woods
1988 – 1995 Rev Patrick Brosnan
1994 – 1995 Rev Michael Briody (Administrator)
1995 – 2020 Rev Eamonn Sweeney
2020 – present Rev Kevin McGoldrick
1849 – 1850 Rev John MacDonald
1850 – 1851 Rev Walter Dixon
1850 – 1851 Rev Michael Power
1856 – 1857 Rev Hugh Gallagher
1857 – 1859 Rev John O’Dwyer
1867 – 1870 Rev Robert Innes
1870 – 1872 Rev Leopold Dumelie
1872 – 1874 Rev J A C Van den Noort
1874 – 1879 Rev Hubert Van Stipout
1879 – 1884 Rev Thomas PO’Reilly
1880 – 1881 Rev Michael O’Neill
1882 – 1884 Rev Thomas Kearney
1883 – 1888 Rev Daniel T Browne
1884 – 1889 Rev Thomas McEvoy
1888 – 1891 Rev John McAllister
1889 – 1893 Rev Francis Young
1890 – 1890 Rev Charles Webb
1892 – 1896 Rev John Cameron
1893 – 1893 Rev Edward Doody
1896 – 1896 Rev Myles Ambrose
1896 – 1897 Rev John Geerty
1896 – 1901 Rev James Harris
1897 – 1897 Rev Henry Edgar
1898 – 1899 Rev Anthony O’Neil
1898 – 1900 Rev Robert Grant
1899 – 1903 Rev Patrick Smyth
1901 – 1906 Rev James B Jennings
1901 – 1907 Rev Bartholomew Canavan
1906 – 1906 Rev James Mullarkey
1906 – 1915 Rev Christopher Hillee
1908 – 1909 Rev James Moloney
1908 – 1910 Rev George Lillis
1910 – 1911 Rev Daniel O’Dea
1911 – 1913 Rev Michael McKenna
1913 – 1918 Rev James Slattery
1915 – 1923 Rev Denis Scannel
1920 – 1931 Rev James Black
1926 – 1927 Rev James O’Connor
1927 – 1948 Rev Michael Dooley
1929 – 1933 Rev Daniel J O’Sullivan
1930 – 1940 Rev Patrick Kelly
1931 – 1937 Rev Kevin Whitty
1933 – 1934 Rev Thomas Cahill
1937 – 1944 Rev Albert Chandler
1938 – 1939 Rev Joseph Breen
1941 – 1941 Rev James Fisher
1941 – 1947 Rev Francis Misset
1944 – 1948 Rev Michael Gilroy
1945 – 1948 Rev John V Murray
1947 – 1950 Rev Patrick McHugh
1948 – 1955 Rev Daniel Hennessy
1948 – 1958 Rev Anthony McGurk
1950 – 1952 Rev Michael Maher
1955 – 1965 Rev Richard Lillis
1958 – 1965 Rev Denis Keane
1960 – 1970 Rev Sean Mannion
1965 – 1966 Rev Francis Kelly
1965 – 1975 Rev Andrew Tunn
1966 – 1972 Rev Jeremiah O’Riordan
1972 – 1978 Rev Brendan Smith
1978 – 1989 Rev Thomas Trench
1989 – 1994 Rev Colin T Hughes
ST PATRICK’S PARISH – A CHRONICLE
by William Docherty BSc, BA, MEd, Dip Adult Ed.
1162 King Malcolm IV, great grandson of St Margaret, Queen of Scotland, grants the lands of Dumpeleder to the Cistercian monks of Newbattle Abbey near Edinburgh.
1203 Papal Bull of Innocent III mentions Dumpeleder.
1273 Papal Bull of Gregory X mentions Dumpeleder.
1320 Declaration of Arbroath is drawn up by leaders of the Scottish church and state and presented to the Pope, John XXII. The identity of the Scottish nation and its church is recognised.
1323 Official records at the time of King Robert the Bruce show that ‘Dumpeleder’ is replaced by ‘Monklands’ in the Steward’s Charter.
1435 Sylvius Piccolomini, later Pope Pius II (1458-1464), visits Scotland and finds monks ‘digging out of the earth a black sulphurous fuel’. This coal is made available to the poor.
in Edinburgh for hearing Mass celebrated by Fr John Ogilvie SJ.
1622 Scotland comes under the care of the Congregation for the Propagation of the Faith.
1653 The first Prefect Apostolic to minister to Scotland is appointed. He is Fr William Ballantine, a convert from Douglasdale, Lanarkshire.
1694 The status of the Catholic Church in Scotland is raised and Fr Thomas Nicolson, in 1695, becomes first Vicar Apostolic and first bishop since the Reformation. Before ordination he was a professor at Glasgow University. He converted to Catholicism and was ordained priest in Padua, Italy. He arrives in Scotland in 1697.
1755 Webster’s Census finds only five ‘papists’ in the six counties of Wigtown, Ayr, Bute, Renfrew, Lanark and Dunbarton – two in Hamilton, two in Erskine, one in Paisley.
1770s Highland Clearances begin to take effect and many
Catholics move south; some settle in Glasgow and meet secretly for prayers and occasional Mass in the areas of Saltmarket, Gallowgate and High Street.Construction of Monkland Canal begins in 1770, and ends in 1781. It is used to transport freight and especially coal to Glasgow.
1792 Fr Alexander McDonell moves from Badenoch to join his migrant Highland workers in a commercially-booming Glasgow. With the support of employers, a large hall in Mitchell Street, off Argyle Street, becomes the first chapel; it seats 300.
1798 The failure of the Uprising in Ireland produces an early wave of Irish migrants, many settling in the west of Scotland.
1816 The church now known as, St Andrew’s Cathedral, Glasgow, is built by Father Andrew Scott, a native of Banffshire, whose mission takes in the whole of South West Scotland, including a bustling Glasgow.
1822 Coal pits are opened locally by Messrs Baird and give work to immigrant Catholics.
1824-26 Conflict arises between some of the Irish immigrants and their pastor, Fr Andrew Scott. ‘Differences in temperament and outlook’ are allegedly the cause.
1826 Monkland and Kirkintilloch railway, the first in Scotland, opens.
The building of this railway had attracted Catholics into the Monklands. Their spiritual needs require to be met and every six weeks Mass is celebrated in Airdrie by a supply priest from Glasgow. Until 1839 three locations are used. They are the Mason’s Lodge, High Street, a rented room in Bell Street and then a room in Market Street which also serves as a school. The first teacher is Mr Delargey.
1827 The Catholic Church in Scotland is divided into three districts – not dioceses – to cope with the growth and shift in population. Glasgow is the centre of the Western District, which contains Coatbridge.
1829 The Catholic Emancipation Act clears the way for
Catholics, theoretically at least, to engage fully in civic life.A massive educational challenge presents itself to equip Catholics for the opportunities ahead. In Scotland there are now three bishops acting as Vicars Apostolic, fifty priests, a seminary, twenty schools, 70,000 Catholics out of a population of 2,350,000.
1832 Further friction develops between some Irish immigrants and Bishop Andrew Scott. The 1994 Western Catholic Calendar affirms that Bishop Scott’s “reputation is securely based on the work he did over these years among the Irish immigrants in the slums of the large towns of west Scotland; his is the foundation on which all his successors have, in their turn, built.”
1837 The first priest of Irish immigrant stock is ordained. Daniel Gallaugher worked in the cotton mills in Blantyre and was a mentor to David Livingstone, a fellow worker at that time. He taught young Livingstone the Latin language.
1839 Fr Gallaugher is posted to the Airdrie Mission which includes Coatbridge. Bishop John Murdoch, Glasgow, opens St Margaret’s Church, the first Catholic church in the Monklands.
1843 William Walsh arrives in Glasgow as a deacon and is ordained by Bishop John Murdoch. Fr William Walsh is appointed to St Margaret’s Church, Airdrie.
1845 Fr William Walsh becomes the first pastor of a new mission, St Patrick’s Coatbridge, which stretches from Coatdyke to Shettleston and from Cardowan to Carnbroe. Fr Walsh celebrates Mass in a carpenter’s shed in East Canal Street (now South Circular Road) and lives nearby.
1845-50 The Great Famine follows the failure of the potato harvest in Ireland. Another wave of Irish immigrants follows, bringing immense challenges, not only to the Catholic church but also to the host nation. Many of the immigrants are penniless and all seek a new start in life.
1847 April Fr Walsh plans for a new church on a site made
available by Messrs Baird & Co at a nominal charge of 1 groat, ie 4d.
July 7 At the age of 28 years, Fr Walsh dies of typhus fever which has swept through the west of Scotland.
Father William Walsh (1819 -1847) A Tribute
We must pause here to pay tribute to our first pastor. Fr William Walsh was born in Ballinvulling, County Cork, Ireland, in 1819. He died in 1847, four years after his ordination in St Andrew’s Cathedral, Glasgow. Two of these four years were spent in St Margaret’s, Airdrie.
In 1845, Fr Walsh had neither shelter nor church when he came here, aged 26 years. He hired a carpenter’s shed in East Canal Street (now South Circular Road). He celebrated two Masses on Sunday. During the week, the shed acted as a school. Fr Walsh stayed in lodgings. His circumstances were stark. In due course, because of his priestly example, his popularity spread throughout the whole community. The Bairds of Gartsherrie were among his
admirers; it was they, indeed, who arranged for him to have the land on which were built the original and now the present church, whose centenary we celebrate. Tradition says that this site was bought for a groat.
The year 1847 was known as “Black ’47” because typhus tightened its grip of the poor in the west of Scotland. Conditions were squalid, degrading, unhealthy in the extreme, and fatal to some. Fr Walsh’s pastoral zeal took him into the but-and-ben or single-end of each family. Many parishioners were laid low with the fever. He, himself, contracted the contagion and, after 12 days illness, died on 7 July 1847.
We must note the ecumenical nature of his pastoral care. Here is a true story, relayed to us by the one who was central to it: As Fr Walsh was visiting the fever-stricken, he met up with a Presbyterian minister who was on his way to attend one of his infected parishioners. Fr Walsh assured the minister he would visit the sick for him and urged him to return to his wife and family so that he would not expose himself to the typhus. The minister accepted Fr Walsh’s advice and lived for many years to relate
what had taken place.
In the exercise of his priestly ministry, Fr Walsh accepted death as he followed in the footsteps of The Master. He is buried in St Mary’s Church in the east end of Glasgow. His legacy was a community of believers – a church without a building – committed to the Catholic faith and aware of the need for a suitable place of worship. The church was planned by Fr Walsh and built by his successor Fr Michael O’Keeffe.
1847 August. Born in Limerick, educated in Ireland, ordained priest in St Andrew’s Cathedral, Glasgow, Fr Michael O’Keeffe becomes the second pastor of our parish. He is aged 28 years. He spends the rest of his priesthood in St Patrick’s, a total of 46 years.
His first task is to build a church on the site procured by Fr William Walsh
First Marriage Henry O’Neill, Rosanne O’Neill
Witness: Elizabeth Mullen
1 September 1847
(Fr) Michael O’Keeffe
Fr. William Walsh’s First Baptism in St. Margaret’s
Parents: Charles McCormick, Ellen Coyle
Sponsors: Isais Dunbar, Ellen Connell
18 October 1843
Roots to shoots
FROM ROOTS TO SHOOTS (1848-1894)
1848 November The original church built on the present site is opened by the Ceremony of Blessing. Pontifical Mass is then celebrated and sung by Right Rev Dr John Murdoch, Vicar Apostolic, Western District. Fr O’Keeffe acts as sub-deacon at Mass.
An entry in the 1850 Catholic Directory runs as follows:- “This village (Coatbridge) is about 8 miles from Glasgow in an easterly direction. The locality in which it is situated is one vast mineral field. Every knowe has its own iron work or coal pit. The district is densely populated, chiefly by the humbler classes, almost all of whom are Irish immigrants. The Catholic population is estimated at 5000. The present edifice (is) connected to a most commodious presbytery and schoolhouse which were erected at the same time . . . Since the opening of the church a gallery has been erected in it so that it now accommodates 700 sitters”.
1849 and 1851 Cholera breaks out. Hundreds die of this plague.
Bishop John Murdoch. The differences appear to be related to the nature of political movements, clerical appointments, control of finance and personality clashes. Bishop Murdoch dies in 1865.
1875 St Patrick’s cedes another district, this time to St Joseph’s, Cardowan. This new daughter parish is 1100 strong and with a Gothic church accommodating 550. Fr Michael O’Keeffe celebrates the first Mass on 14 November. His Grace, Archbishop Charles Eyre, presides at the formal opening.
1878 March Pope Leo XIII restores the Hierarchy to Scotland.
Archbishop Charles Eyre becomes Archbishop of Glasgow, as ecclesiastical government returns to our native land. He is a man of commanding presence, physically, intellectually, spiritually. His contribution, scholarly and civic, to west of Scotland life is recognised by the University of Glasgow. In 1892, he is awarded an honorary LLD. St Patrick’s is now part of the Archdiocese of Glasgow.
1878 November Glenboig strikes out on its own as a Gothic chapel, dedicated to Our Lady and St Joseph, is opened with Missa Cantata. Miss Campbell conducts the Coatbridge choir. The chapel costs £2,000 and the bill, we are told, is met by Fr Michael O’Keeffe himself.
1881 May A school is opened in Glenboig with Patrick Love as headmaster.
1882 St Augustine’s school is opened in Bank Street, Langloan. It costs £2,180. In 1890 an extra classroom is built for £600. Total accommodation is 110 pupils.
1885 Coatbridge achieves burgh status. Its population is 25,000. Its motto is ‘Laborare est Orare’, taken from the Cistercians of Newbattle Abbey. The motto’s meaning is: To work is to pray.
1892 Archbishop Charles Eyre agrees to Canon O’Keeffe’srequest that Langloan should be a separate parish. Father John Hughes celebrates Mass for the first time in the new Langloan Catholic school on Saturday 11 June. St Augustine’s Parish is launched.
1893 26 April Very Reverend Michael Canon O’Keeffe dies. His funeral is described as “a striking manifestation of public sentiments of sympathy and respect and the sight presented on the occasion cannot easily be forgotten.”
Very Rev Michael Canon O’Keeffe (1818-1893)
In his later years, Canon O’Keeffe was known as “the grand old man of the ‘Brig.” Such a title is not easily won, but when it is bestowed it is 24-carat.
This good priest enjoyed the esteem of the whole community. For example, a large distinguished audience was present when St Augustine’s school was opened in 1882 and a presentation was made to the Canon. Part of the address given on that occasion read:
“We beg to state that almost half of this gift is from our Protestant fellow townsmen who are so well represented here tonight, and who most heartily join us in doing honour to the gentleman and public benefactor, recognising, as they do, that they also share with us in the fruits of your benefactions; that every school which you build and bestow on us is a boon and a saving to the whole community.”
Canon O’Keeffe had built our first church. During his lengthy priesthood in St Patrick’s, he planned new churches, new schools, new halls throughout the area to ensure that the church would stay close to the people. Sunday schools were also held in the homes of parishioners and conducted by lay people. This priest was a true missionary, driven by his faith and priestly vocation, but also content in the knowledge that “Paul might plant and Apollo water but it is God who gives the harvest”.
We should remember that just before the Canon’s death the population of St Patrick’s Parish was 7300 and that in 1892, the year prior to his passing, he cleared the parish of debt from funds he had received from Ireland. The sum paid personally by Canon O’Keeffe was £960 – 3s – 6d.
Coming to the end of his 46 years in St Patrick’s, he was turning his attention to the need for a new church, our present church. This task, however, fell to the Very Rev John Canon McCay, following the death of Canon O’Keeffe, on Wednesday 26 April 1893. He was laid to rest in Dalbeth Cemetery, Glasgow.
One appreciation of theCanon ends:
“Life’s work well done
Life’s race well run
Life’s crown well won.”
1893 May 18 Born in Glenmornan, Strabane, Co Tyrone, in 1832, the Very Rev John Canon McCay takes charge of St Patrick’s Parish. Unlike his predecessors, Canon McCay has proved himself a great pioneering priest in Lanark, Carluke and finally Wishaw where he has erected St Ignatius’ Church. He has established missions in Carfin (1862), Newmains (1871), Motherwell (1873) and Overtown (1873).
Such a strenuous ministry has undermined his original robustness. Nevertheless, he sees the building of a new replacement church for our ancestors and later generations as a priority. Because of the birth of our daughter parish, St Augustine’s, 1892, our parish is now reduced from 7,300to 3,115.
1894 The original St Patrick’s Church is closed on Sunday, 19 August. The last sermon is preached by Fr Charles Reid Brown whose father, William Brown, was present at its opening in 1848. Fr Brown states that the original church had witnessed 2,000 marriages and 15,000 baptisms.
Demolition starts the following day and the stone cross which topped the church is offered to St Joseph’s Cemetery, Rochsoles, Airdrie.
William, born 31 July.
Parents: William Kennedy, Catherine Reilly
Sponsor: Mary McGlone
Baptised: 13 August 1894 (Fr) John Nyhan
1896 On May 17, Pentecost Sunday, our present church is opened and blessed by the Right Rev John A Maguire, Bishop – Auxiliary, and later Archbishop of Glasgow (1902-20). High Mass is sung. The theme of the sermon is The Testimony of the Holy Spirit (John XV,26 – XVI,4).
We are informed of this event by Headmaster James Bonner FEIS. He says: “Crowds came from all quarters and a special train brought large numbers from Glasgow and the city districts. Such an animated scene of bustle and excitement had rarely, if ever, been seen in Coatbridge on a Sunday”. Provost and councillors of our Burgh are present.
Our new church is described as the crowning glory of Canon McCay’s life. The church (without altars) costs £6,770 – 8s – 8d.
Dr. Philip Mc Williams, a parishioner and expert on the church architecture, provides a detailed description of our church, on the following pages.
1898 Sisters of Providence of the Immaculate Conception accept the invitation of Archbishop Charles Eyre to come to Coatbridge. They reside in Blairhill and teach the girls and infants of our parish. They remain for four years and then return to London. The archbishop is determined to raise the educational standards of the Catholic community, throughout the land.
1899 Five former curates make a presentation to our church of a beautifully carved baptismal font designed by Pugin. The inscription bears their names: Rev T P O’Reilly, T Kearney, D T Browne, J Nyhan, T McElroy (RIP).
1900 St Patrick’s Hall opens in August. Remarkably it contains a billiard hall, 42 feet by 21 feet. It costs £1,900. Throughout its life it serves a multitude of functions and is at the centre of a plethora of stories easily recalled, with affection and a smile, by senior parishioners of today, eg an official document dated 1925 states that the hall contains, amongst other things, its billiard hall, 88 card tables and 100 packs of cards. Not, as you might think, shades of Pinocchio’s Pleasure Island, but an indication that Whist Drives were popular social occasions at this time.
1902 Canon McCay erects a chapel-school for the emerging parish of All Saints. On 1 November, Fr Daniel Collins becomes the first pastor at Coatdyke. Two hundred pupils move from St Patrick’s to All Saints School with Miss O’Hagan at the helm.
The same year, on Sunday 7 December, the High Altar is dedicated to the memory of Canon O’Keeffe. High Mass is celebrated. Archbishop John A Maguire, Glasgow, is present. Father J Geerty assists.
A brass plate is fixed on a large tablet. It bears the inscription “This altar was erected as a memorial to the Very Rev Michael Canon O’Keeffe by his faithful people and devoted friends December 7th, 1902”.
Records show that the High Altar costs £570 – 15s – 0d and the fittings and railings (no longer in place) cost £267 – 4s – 9d.
1903 After two years of indifferent health, the Very Rev John Canon McCay dies. One side altar, the Lady altar, is dedicated to Canon McCay. The inscription reads: “This altar was erected in memory of the Very Rev John Canon McCay
who died on 22 April 1903.”
Altar and railings cost £310 – 7s – 2d.
The Sacred Heart Altar is erected by the O’Hear family in memory of their parents. There is no cost to the parish. Both side altars are erected in 1905.
1903 Fr John Geerty, assistant to Canon McCay takes charge of our parish.
He has been administrator here since 1899. He was born in Wishaw during Canon McCay’s time there.
1905 February 13 The new St Patrick’s school in Kildonan Street opens. It is a fine red sandstone building which was demolished in December 2006. James Bonner is Head Teacher. Fr Geerty presides at the opening since the school belongs to the Catholic community. Members of theOld Monkland School Board (OMSB) and many local dignitaries are present. The following day the pupils march from the old school in St John Street and begin work
The school costs £5,406 – 12s – 7d. There are now 3,200 parishioners.
1914 World War I breaks out in August. Our young men are drafted into the armed services. The names of those who lost their lives are to be found on the Cenotaph, Langloan.
1918 World War I ends at 11.00 am, 11 th day, 11 th month.
From Lithuania and Poland come refugees as a result of World War I and the prospects of work. Their loyalty to the Catholic faith enriches our parish. Many settle in Summerlee.
In this same year, the Education (Scotland) Act is passed. Catholic (and Episcopalian) schools are fully integrated into the public system of education while retaining their special character. Local authorities now maintain these schools and employ and pay teachers. Church authorities ensure teachers are orthodox in their belief and acceptable in their character. A crippling burden is lifted off the shoulders of the Catholic community. Existing Catholic schools are leased or sold to local authorities. Parish funds benefit, in 1920, by £1,166 – 18s – 5d.
1924 The organ is purchased for £210.
1931 Very Rev John Canon Geerty dies on 6 April in his 61st year and the 38th year of his priesthood. Like Canon O’Keeffe, all his priesthood is spent in St Patrick’s.
We note that Canon Geerty’s life was distinguished by his pastoral care, his holiness and his prudence in public affairs. He was a member of the Old Monkland School Board (The OMSB monogram can still be seen on some older Coatbridge schools), the Lanarkshire Education Authority and the Archdiocesan Education Board. He also inspected religious education in schools. The present St Patrick’s High School stands in Muiryhall Street because of the influence of this far-seeing priest.
The Very Rev John Canon Geerty is buried in St Patrick’s Cemetery, New Stevenston.
Of interest are the societies which flourished in our parish in 1931: Altar Society, Sacred Heart (men and women) St Vincent de Paul, Boys’ Guild, Association for the Propagation of the Faith.
Saturday confessions stretch from 5.00 pm to 9.00 pm.
Mention of the Boys’ Guild in the Thirties immediately calls to mind the name of Fr Michael Dooley, an assistant priest of towering stature and personality. Under his leadership, the Boys’ Guild prospers during the twenty-one years he spends here. Many men in our parish – and throughout the world – can testify to the enduring impression Fr Dooley made in their lives.
1931 The new parish priest arrives. He is Fr Daniel Colvin. Born in Shettleston on 24 January 1877, much of his priestly life has been spent in Maryhill, Cambuslang, Burnbank, Largs, Gourock and Govan. Debt seems to have been a major concern during his 20 years ministry here. His reserved public image hides his caring personality. Many stories of his kindness are still related today.
1939 September. World War II breaks out. Once again many of our young men lose their lives. Their names are to be found on the Cenotaph, Langloan.
1945 World War II ends. Our men return and resume family life. The baby boom causes a severe housing shortage relieved by new housing schemes which ultimately give rise to new parishes. The number of parishioners is 6,782.
1947 The Diocese of Motherwell is erected as a Suffragan See of the Archdiocese of Glasgow. Hope had been expressed that St Patrick’s would be chosen as the cathedral since Coatbridge is held to be “the Catholic centre of Lanarkshire” . The title “City of Coatbridge” thus eludes us.
1948 April 21. Rev Edward Wilson Douglas, St Anthony’s, Govan is consecrated first Bishop of Motherwell by Donald Campbell, Archbishop of Glasgow. He resigns on February 1954 due to ill health and dies 12 June 1967.
Our church is spruced up for the Centenary Celebration of our original church, erected by Canon O’Keeffe in 1848. Canon Colvin endures poor health in private and with patience.
1950 September. Another daughter parish, St Bartholomew’s, is born with a population of 3,476 by the end of the year.
1951 December 8 Very Rev Daniel Canon Colvin dies. At his Requiem Mass, Canon Colvin is described by Bishop Edward Douglas in the following terms: “Canon Colvin did not seek the limelight but his sterling worth was known to you. Above all he was a man of prayer.”
Our parish is free from debt as a consequence of his administration.
1952 Fr John C Battel arrives as parish priest. He is a cultured person, an artist, musically sophisticated. During his term, the Patrician Players, parishioners, strut the boards with plays being presented in our reclaimed hall. Curates Rew Anthony McGurk, Daniel Hennessy display an infectious exuberance for the diversity of parish life.
1955 May 23. Bishop James Donald Scanlan, Bishop of Dunkeld since 1949 becomes Bishop of Motherwell due to Bishop
Edward Douglas’ retiral. It is to be noted that the invitation extended to the Provost and Councillors of the Burgh of Motherwell and Wishaw to be present, enrobed, at the Consecration of Bishop Scanlan, is declined. On 29 January 1964, Bishop Scanlan becomes Archbishop of Glasgow.
Major repairs to our church are carried out this year, costing £2,431-7s-5d.
Fr Battel draws parishioners’ attention to the pristine condition of the altar and reredos. Special equipment has been purchased to keep them clean.
1957 April. Permission is received for the first evening Sunday mass at 7.00 pm. The practice is extended after December.
1958 After extensive maintenance and decoration of the Church, the Very Rev John Canon Battel leaves our parish to continue his priestly ministry in St Joseph’s, Blantyre.
1959 Very Rev Peter Canon Sexton comes to St Patrick’s. His simple faith is exemplified in his belief, often stated, that the best way to heaven is by having a “Pioneer badge in your lapel and your rosary in your pocket”.
Also this year, we receive an offer for the outright purchase of our Church. An alarmed Canon Sexton speaks in terms of “thirty pieces of silver”. The offer – a lucrative one -is rejected. So too are further approaches which come from the same client of a London company of estate agents.
1961 December 4. Dispensation from Friday abstinence is given, by the Bishop, for those attending the Parish Dance in the Town Hall.
Extensive church repairs cost £4,046 – 1s – 6d.
1962 Very Rev Peter Canon Sexton dies in Ireland after a period of illness.
The parish welcomes Fr William Duddy and we embark on a relationship which lasts 15 years.
There is the first note of the proceeds of the Friday night collection for the Building Fund: £1,687 – 12s – Od. This temporary measure becomes a second collection at Mass and lasts until April 1996.
The Second Vatican Council begins this year and lasts until 1965. It was convoked by Pope John XXIII in 1959. Its decrees are interpreted rather freely and generate heated debate rather than enlightened discussion. The relative roles of clergy and laity are put under the microscope within this parish.
1963 An offer by a local baker to buy part of the church land is declined.
1965 February 24. Very Rev Francis Canon Thomson, Rector of St Mary’s College, Blairs is consecrated Bishop of Motherwell. He resigns due to ill health on 14 December 1982,moves to Biggar as parish priest and dies on 6 December 1987.
1971 Our parish introduces the Covenant Scheme.
1973 Renovation of our church takes place. Its purpose is to enable parishioners to conform to the new liturgical practice. The cost is £17,896.61.
1975/6 The new presbytery is built in St John Street.
As a result of the Wheatley Commission, Coatbridge, Airdrie and surrounding villages form Monklands District.
1977 Very Rev William Canon Duddy unexpectedly leaves us and moves to St Margaret’s, Airdrie.
Fr Peter McCann returns to Coatbridge having been at one time parish priest in St James’. He brings a readiness to give lay people a role of significance in parish life. Open meetings of parishioners become a feature of his time here. Co-operation and collaboration are seen as goals to be sought for the benefit of our parish.
1979 Sunday Vigil Mass becomes a feature of parish life. It is celebrated on Saturday evening.
1980 New hall is opened by His Lordship Bishop Francis Thomson.
1982 Fr McCann supervises the exodus to Bellahouston. Hundreds of parishioners take part in the Mass celebrated by His Holiness Pope John Paul II.
Meanwhile the cleaning of the external stonework of our church is completed. So too is the pedestrianisation of the Main Street. Fr McCann acts to have Eucharistic Ministers appointed.
1983 May Bishop Joseph Devine, ordained bishop auxiliary by Archbishop Thomas J Winning on 31 May 1977, becomes the fourth Bishop of Motherwell.
Later this year Fr Peter McCann leaves us for St John Ogilvie’s Parish, Blantyre.
Fr Alphonsus Woods moves from St Aidan’s Parish, Wishaw, to come to our parish.
1984/5 Root and branch alterations, cleaning and painting take place over this period and our Church is admired by visitors and parishioners alike. Fr Woods receives many compliments for his achievement.
1985 St Patrick’s Day. We receive the Apostolic Blessing of Pope John Paul II to mark the 140th anniversary of the foundation of our Parish. Bishop Joseph Devine is the main celebrant of the Mass of Dedication. Fr A Woods and Fr T Trench are among the many priests who concelebrate. There is a visiting choir and the Offertory Procession consists of guests. A celebratory lunch is provided in the hall for guests of the parish.
The baptistry is reclaimed and no longer serves as a cry-chapel. A baptismal font, recovered from the doomed St Margaret’s, Kinning Park, replaces the ancient font. The existing Stations of the Cross are also salvaged from St Margaret’s and restored. The cry-chapel now takes up part of the porch and acts as accommodation for day-time worshippers. Many people pay visits to our Church.
The bill for the renovation and restoration of church and presbytery is in excess of £200,000.
1988 The Very Rev Alphonsus Canon Woods retires.
Fr Patrick Brosnan arrives in January. Worship, prayer, charity and spirituality are placed at the heart of parish life. He is a true Alter Christus.
1994 The Eucharistic Service on a Thursday evening is introduced. It is celebrated entirely by Lay people of the Parish.
1995 March 26. After an extended illness Fr Patrick Brosnan dies. Our Parish weeps, then prays.
Hundreds are left outside of our Church as his Requiem Mass is celebrated. He is escorted by a group of parishioners to his grave in Killarney.
1994-95 During Fr Brosnan’s illness, Fr Michael Briody acts as Administrator. He leads us into a deeper understanding of liturgy. Bishop Joseph Devine celebrates the 150th anniversary of our
Parish. Fr Briody assists at the Mass. He leaves to become parish priest of St Michael’s, Moodiesburn.
1995 August. Fr Eamonn Sweeney is welcomed to our parish from St Michael’s, Moodiesburn.
1995/6 Extensive renovations begin in our Church and hall. The baptismal font moves to the front of the Church at the Sacred Heart altar.
The baptistry is converted to the Centenary Chapel, open all day with Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament; during Mass this chapel fulfils the role of cry-chapel. The porch is opened up again and a stained glass window depicting St Patrick has been installed to commemorate Fr Patrick Brosnan; it has been funded totally by the subscriptions of parishioners and friends. The floor of the chancel is now tiled; formerly it was carpeted.
For the first time since 1845 we have a nun as pastoral assistant, Sister Moira Duffy. Fr Sweeney and Sr Moira form the pastoral team. They recognise that relationships form the key to the life of a Christian community.
1996 Local government re-organisation takes place. Under a cloud of controversy, Monklands District Council passes into oblivion. Coatbridge is now part of North Lanarshire and is administered both in civic and ecclesiastical affairs from Motherwell.
Fittingly in this Centenary Year of our Church, the Secretary of State for Scotland declares that, because of its architectural and historic importance, St Patrick’s Church now enjoys the status of a ‘B’ listed building.
His decision receives a triple “Amen” from Dr Philip Mc Williams and this Chronicle.
William Docherty, 17 May 1996
November 8, 2009A service of Dedication and Thanksgiving took place on Sunday, 8th November. The evening was a musical celebration of the transfer of our new Church organ from Clifton Church.
- 1996 - 2001
- 2001- 2005
- 2005 - 2006
- Church renovation
- 2006 - 2007
- 2008 - 2009
- 2010 - 2011
- 2012 - 2013
- 2013 - 2014
- 2016 - 2018
996 ST PATRICK’S TEAROOM opens on 11th June. The Parish Priest feels that St Patrick’s Hall is a prime site for a tearoom which would be of great social benefit to the parish and the wider community, but will it catch on, will it work. Time will tell.
On 27 September St Patrick’s Shop opens selling all kinds of religious objects. It works hand in hand, side by side with the Tearoom.
1999 The centenary chapel was receiving a facelift and on a visit to Fatima the Parish Priest found a set of ceramic stations of the cross which are now incorporated into the tiling of the chapel. Likewise paintings of The Good Shepherd, The Garden of Gethsemane and the Last Supper by artist Veronica Gilday are accommodated in the tiling.
The New Millenium, 2000 St. Patrick’s Parish celebrated the New Millenium with great style but also in a deeply spiritual way. As the bells were ringing to welcome the year 2000 the Parish Hall was packed to capacity with parishioners and friends
attending the Annual Charity Ball wishing each other well as we stepped into a new millennium. On the spiritual side a “millennium” candle was lit at the Sacred Heart altar and remained lit day and night for the entire duration of the year 2000. The Scottish Hierarchy designated St. Patrick’s together with other central parishes throughout Scotland as a “Pilgrimage” church. Extra services were arranged to enable people to gain special indulgences. Many people from far and near flocked to St. Patrick’s.
2000 June A group from the parish under the leadership of James O’Neill went on pilgrimage to the Passion Play in Oberammergau.
2001 The existing Parish Hall although still in good condition after the 1996 renovation and extension was found to be inadequate to provide for the social activities of the parish. The tearoom established in August 1996 for one thing had outgrown the hall. It was decided that it needed to be replaced by a bigger building with better facilities. This undertaking proved to be one of the miracles of our time. The work on building the present structure began in March 2001 and was the venue for a wedding reception
on 16 June 2001, a period of twelve weeks. During this time the tearoom ceased to trade for only three weeks as the new hall was being constructed while the existing hall still remained. The new premises provides two function rooms, a large basement/storeroom, an enlarged shop area providing religious goods, toilets, baby changing facilities, guestroom and bar. Extra ground was “bought” from North Lanarkshire Council for the nominal cost of £1,500. George Calder was the builder and provided great value for a final cost of £282,000. Since St. Patrick’s Tearoom is a Limited Company and registered for VAT it was possible to reclaim about £40,000 for VAT receipts.
At a parish meeting the Parish Priest agreed a deal with the committee that they could decide on a name for the smaller hall and he would name the larger hall and so the halls are called Iona and Mayo representing the Scottish and Irish roots of the parish.
2001: 17 June The Catholic community of Scotland and further afield were shocked and saddened at the news of the death of Thomas Joseph Cardinal Winning the leading Catholic churchman
in Scotland. He was 76 years of age and left his mark on many aspects of Scottish life. He was credited with moving the Catholic Church from the edges to the centre of Scottish society.
2003 The final piece of the hall is put in place. A tower is erected and a large storeroom is added to the shop. An extra kitchen is added on the ground floor of the tower to cope with catering for functions. There is now a clock in the tower with synchronised bells at the church. The cost was £43,000. Again money paid in VAT was reclaimed.
2005 April A cloud of sadness descended upon the world with the news of the death of Pope John Paul 11. Several members of the St. Patrick’s community were attending a dinner and dance in the hall for a social celebration of Easter when the news came that the Holy Father was breathing his last. The function ended and the church was opened to allow people to come and pray for his happy and peaceful death. Many came to join in the continuous chain of prayer until midnight. The following week the church was full to capacity for a special mass for the repose of his soul.
2005: May We have a new Pope. The white smoke appears high above the Vatican buildings. The announcement is made. Cardinal Ratzinger is elected and the catholic world rejoices. He takes the name Benedict XVI. A mass of thanksgiving is celebrated in St. Patrick’s and also in Motherwell Cathedral. St. Patrick’s is packed and a bus load go to Motherwell. Habemus Papa!
2006 Renovation of St. Patrick’s Church building Practically the whole of this year was taken up with the most extensive overhaul the church had since the day it was first built. The early part of the year was taken up with work on the exterior and the latter part with interior work. During this time there was tremendous inconvenience for everyone but no complaints. The church was 110 years old and the old lady was showing her age and in serious need of repair.
THE EXTERIOR work is best described in the words of Archie Richmond of Richmond Architects, RIAS Accreditation in Building Conservation, who secured the contract of designing and guiding the work: “CONSERVATION ROOF WORKS AT ST. PATRICK’S R.C. CHURCH, COATBRIDGE”
Project Summary Sheet
The above project consisted of conservation repairs to the existing B listed church building including full external scaffolding, stripping existing Scottish slates, carrying out sarking and rot repairs to roof timbers, re-felting roof, renewing all lead flashings to roofs, re-slating roofs with new Burlington slates, installation of roof anchors, repairs and renewal of roof lantern above sacristy, renewal of gutters, hoppers and downpipes in cast iron, stone repairs and pointing, installation of lightning conductor, repair to upper level clerestory leaded glass windows, internal rot and plaster repair in sacristy area and external paint work on completion of the works.”
Following receipt of the statutory consents, the preparation of tender documents and obtaining competitive tenders, the main contractor for the project, R & R Construction (Scotland) Ltd. was appointed. The works commenced on site on 16 January 2006 and were completed on 14 July 2006.
This part of the work was completed two days ahead of schedule
and the Parish Priest expressed his total satisfaction with the work of the architect and the contractors.
THE INTERIOR There was no main contractor for the interior work. Contractors dealt directly with the Parish Priest having been appointed by him on a competitive basis. The work consisted of Painting & Decorating, Woodwork, Marble work, Heating, Lighting, Tiling, Flooring, Plumbing. After the roofing the next biggest contract was the painting and decorating. Every square inch of the church got a makeover. There was extensive gold leaf restoration in the sanctuary area. There was much artwork and various inscriptions added including Laudate Dominum Omnes Gentes (Praise the Lord all nations) above the main altar.
The sanctuary lamp was returned to a central point in the sanctuary drawing one’s eye to the tabernacle. Marble panels were fitted in the sanctuary. New marmoleum floor covering was fitted throughout with some liturgical designs inserted in the work. The heating system was overhauled and upgraded. New lighting was installed throughout. Toilets were completely
reconstructed providing access for the disabled.
The old side entrance which is wheelchair friendly was completely refurbished and given the dignity of a proper church entrance. It also got a new name, Mary’s Gate. A restored statue of Our Lady welcomes people and the Holy Water Font is a restored baptismal font from the 19th. Century. This work was started in August 2006 and completed on 15 December 2006. During this time weekday masses were celebrated in the Iona suite and weekend masses in the church under difficult conditions. Every Friday a major cleanup was completed by volunteers. Again the Parish Priest expressed his satisfaction with the entire job and praised the parishioners for their forbearance throughout the year.
The cost of the entire project was £597,793 but because St. Patrick’s is a listed building we were refunded £67,969 for VAT payments.
The current family of parishioners enthusiastically took ownership of the project and supported a robust fundraising campaign. A five year plan was put in place and early signs were very
encouraging. Aspects of the fund-raising plan were amongst others, Buy a Souvenir Slate, (from the old roof), Raffle for a Car, but the main fundraiser was a Monthly Draw. This had 650 members paying £5 a month for 5 years. This alone was designed to make a profit of more that £150,000.
2006: June St. Patrick’s High School closes its doors for the last time and the school is merged with Columba High School. The merged schools enter a new school building under the name of St. Andrew. Many people in the St. Patrick’s community including the Parish Priest expressed serious regret at this development. St. Patrick’s had lost a prime site close to the Town Centre but worse still a name had disappeared that had been synonymous with Catholic Education throughout the West of Scotland. 160 years of history and tradition had been wiped out. Nowhere in Lanarkshire is there a High School with
St. Patrick above the door. How or why it happened is a mystery. There were many questions but few if any convincing answers.
2006: December One of the first services in the newly refurbished St. Patrick’s was the Inter Faith Carol Service with our friends and neighbours from St. Andrew’s Church of Scotland. This is now an Annual feature which is alternated yearabout and eagerly anticipated.
2007: 7th February The President of Ireland, President Mary McAleese while on a visit to Scotland paid a visit to St. Patrick’s Church where she signed the Baptismal and Marriage registers and afterwards to St. Patrick’s Tearoom where she was given a cordial welcome. In her speech she paid tribute to the multitudes of Irish people who found refuge in Coatbridge during and after famine times and made mention of the contribution they made to life and industry throughout Scotland.
2007 Stained glass windows were installed in the Centenary Chapel following the theme of the Mysteries of Light. Stained glass designer and manufacturer Moira Parker of Rainbow Glass Studios, Prestwick, sat with the Parish Priest and Pastoral Assistant on several occasions to discuss details in the design.
2007: August A new school is opened on the former site of
St. Patrick’s. It is occupied by Coatbridge High School. The community of St. Patrick’s wish them well in their new home.
08 More stained glass was installed inside and outside the Centenary Chapel following the gospel themes of the Call of the Apostles and the Gathering of the Children the Triumphant Entry of Jesus into Jerusalem and the Trial of Jesus before Pilate. All of this work was financed by generous donations from members of our community. In total 9 windows cost £20,063.50
2008: April A lasting monument to the former St. Patrick’s High School is erected at the entrance to Mary’s Gate, St. Patrick’s Church and is financed by contributions from former pupils. It is considered that this is the only appropriate venue to erect such a monument. Worked into the design in stone is the school crest and celtic cross. On the 11 June there was a Mass of thanksgiving for all that the school had achieved and a dedication of the monument.
2008: 2 September was a happy day for the parish community. One of our parishioners, Alex Stewart is ordained to the Permanent Diaconate. The parish support him in prayer. His ministry includes pastoral work at Monklands Hospital and in the merged parishes of St. Stephen’s and St. Bernard’s, Coatbridge.
2009: February – June “Father” Willis organ from Clifton Parish Church, Coatbridge finds a new home in St. Patrick’s Church, Coatbridge.
This was a remarkable event. It was obvious that the church organ was nearing the end of its life and in need of serious and expensive rebuilding. The organ tuner was aware that there was an excellent pipe organ in the nearby Clifton Parish Church which was shortly due to close down. Perhaps an approach could be made to the Board of St. Andrew’s Church ofScotland with which Clifton Parish Church was due to merge. The approach met with a favourable response and so the work of dismantling, storing and rebuilding began. The work was completed in June to the complete satisfaction of everyone. The whole project galvanised the relationship of the Catholic and Church of Scotland Communities.
2009: Sunday 9th November A Service of Dedication and Thanksgiving for the gift of the organ takes place in St. Patrick’s Church.
2012 – THE HOLY LAND PILGRIMAGES. Father Eamonn, the Parish Priest had been on a private pilgrimage to the Holy Land in 2010 to celebrate the 40th Anniversary of his priesthood. On returning he frequently made reference to his experiences in the Holy Land and often applied this to the gospel message.
This whetted the appetite of some parishioners who wished to explore the possibility of a Parish Pilgrimage. The Parish Priest announced an information evening having researched and surveyed various Tour Companies. This information dealt with things like itinerary, departure dates and cost. The response to the information evening was overwhelming to the extent that in the end it was decided to run two trips so that nobody would be disappointed. It was decided to run a 10 day pilgrimage in September 2012 and an 8 day pilgrimage the following month. Before too long both pilgrimages were fully booked and those who took part in both found the experience very rewarding and in terms of the gospel very enriching. A regular comment would be “It brought the scriptures alive”. Everyone had a highlight place or event. While for some it was Bethlehem, Jerusalem or Bethany for others it was Sea of Galilee, Nazareth or Cana.
All Saints Travel were the preferred Travel Company, Sr. Moira, Pastoral Assistant was the Pilgrimage Organiser, Joe Bancewitz produced a fine Pilgrimage Booklet for both trips, Anne Morrow (September) and Fiona Pitcaithly (October) directed the music and the Spiritual Director was the Parish Priest, Fr. Eamonn, who had the pleasant “task” of leading both pilgrimages.
2013: On 11 February the Feast of Our Lady of Lourdes, the Church throughout the world was shocked at the unexpected announcement by Pope Benedict XVI that he would retire from his Pontificate on Thursday 28 February. While the initial reaction around St. Patrick’s was surprise and shock it quietly dawned upon us that it was a carefully considered decision by the Holy Father in the light of his failing health and physical strength. We await the election of a new Pope and look forward to a new era in Church Leadership.
2013: 13th MarchThe wait was over and Cardinal Jorge Bergoglio, from Buenos Aires (Argentina), was elected the 266th pope. Pope Francis made history by becoming the first Latin American to be elected pontiff.
2013: March Pope Benedict XVI who resigned as Pope continues to reside in one of the Vatican properties. This was the first time that a Pope had resigned for many centuries. It was clear that his health was failing.
2013: May Bishop Joseph Devine, Bishop of Motherwell Diocese resigns. His failing eyesight was just one of his health concerns. He enjoyed the good wishes of the clergy and the people of the Diocese. He had been Bishop from 1982. Bishop Toal of the Diocese of Argyle and the Isles was appointed as Apostolic Administrator of Motherwell Diocese.
2013: 8th June Drumpark School, a Special Needs Secondary and Primary School was sited where the former Coatbridge High School had been. Drumpark School had been in Bargeddie before this. Since the move to Coatbridge, it is served from St Patrick’s. The Parish Priest, on the occasion of the First Holy Communion, commented “Drumpark School enriches our parish community”.
2014 Fr Jake Otonko, a Nigerian priest who occasionally frequents St Patrick’s, approached the Parish Priest for help. He wanted to build a hospital in his native region as they had no medical facilities worth talking about. There was a serious risk to life in getting to the nearest hospital. The Parish Priest responded to his appeal and established a fund. A target of £25,000 was set but, knowing the generosity of St Patrick’s Parishioners, the target was soon surpassed and finally realised £64,415. A cheque was presented to a happy Fr Jake at a function in the Hall.
2014: March St Patrick’s Mass performed in the Church by the Diocesan Choir as part of the St Patrick’s Festival weekend.
2014: 29 April Bishop Toal was formally appointed as Bishop of Motherwell Diocese. There was unanimous approval for this appointment amongst the clergy.
2014: 24 June The Cathedral in Motherwell was packed to the rafters with clergy and laity for the installation of Bishop Toal as Bishop of Motherwell. It was a joyful event.
2016: May A group of 55 people were led by the Parish Priest to Rome. It was both pilgrimage and holiday. It started with 2 days/nights in Assisi, and on the journey to Rome there was a stop at Cascia to visit the shrine of St Rita. A great time was enjoyed by all and many friendships established.
2016: Sep A group of 50 was led by the Parish Priest on a pilgrimage to Poland. All the usual places of interest were included in the Itinerary – Salt Mines, places of religious interest, concentration camp, lost purses, lost passports – it had everything.
2017: 7th May Diocesan Choir from Argyle and the Isles visited St Patrick’s and sung the 12 o’clock Mass – which included some beautiful Celtic music – the group included 3 or 4 priests. The Parish Priest wondered how 3 or 4 priests could get away on tour for a whole week!
2017: June Pilgrimage to Fatima. About 50 people joined the Pilgrims Group, led by the Parish Priest. This was a real bonding experience. It was a truly spiritual experience. No pilgrimage from Coatbridge to Portugal would be complete without a visit to the Estadio Nacional in Lisbon before we headed for Fatima! A kind pilgrim donated a beautiful statue of Our Lady of Fatima to St Patrick’s Centenary Chapel.
2018: 9th Mar Desecration of Centenary Chapel. This was a sad and black event in the history of the parish. The Centenary Chapel, with the Blessed Sacrament exposed, is open for private prayer and worship. One Saturday afternoon, a person, still unknown, entered the chapel, smashed the Monstrance and broke up the Sacred Host. The Parish Priest was visibly shaken and emotionally upset that such a terrible thing could have happened in our church.
Police were called, but nothing ever come of it. The PP immediately suspended Exposition of the Blessed Sacrament, until a more robust and vigilant team was established. This was quickly achieved with many volunteers coming forward. The Centenary Chapel became the oasis of peace and prayer once again that it had been from 1996.
2018: April As a consequence of the above unfortunate incident, CCTV cameras were installed to cover areas of the church and presbytery. A direct alert link to the police station was also installed in case of an emergency.
2018: 10 Nov Launch of Book by Dr. Robert Corrins “St Patrick’s, Coatbridge and the Great War, 1914-1918 – A Roll of Honour”. The book was Launched at the 10 am Mass on 10 November, during Mass the names of all those soldiers on the Roll of Honour were read and prayed for.
2018: 15-18 Nov As part of the centenary celebrations for the 1918 Education Act, the specially commissioned Icon of Jesus the Teacher (depicting different aspects of Catholic Education in Scotland) visited St Patrick’s on its way around Scotland.
2018: December The Friends together Club met for the first time on 2 December and has continued to meet on the first Saturday of every month since then. This Club, which is intended for boys, girls, men and women with special needs, is one of the great success stories of St Patrick’s. The PP expressed his pleasure at the success of the Club and is quick to acknowledge the tremendous response to the appeal for help, and also for funds.
2019: 17 Feb We had a visit from TERN TV, who were compiling a documentary programme for BBC TV on First Holy Communion. Our First Holy Communicants looked very well and did us proud. The programme was to be shown on TV in May 2020.
2019: 17 Mar A choir from Cork City, 40 in number, visited St Patrick’s for 12 o’clock Mass on St Patrick’s Day. They received a typical warm welcome from the congregation and afterwards were treated to a St Patrick’s brand of hospitality in the Tearoom.
2019: 24 Mar The church kneelers had seen better days and a firm from Liverpool, Hayes & Finch did an excellent job in re-upholstering the kneelers. No excuse now for being uncomfortable at prayer.
2019: 23 May The people of Motherwell Diocese were saddened at the news of the death of Bishop Devine. Although he had been in poor health, his death came as a shock. Many people reflected on the solid leadership he gave to the Diocese for more than 30 years.
2019: May We have new neighbours at St Patrick’s and a new street, St Patrick’s Court. A new housing complex was completed and opened straight across from our front door.
2019: May & June Both Sr Moira and Fr Eamonn celebrated Golden Jubilees in priesthood and religious life. It was marked with Mass followed by food in the Tearoom. Half of these 50 years have been spent in St Patrick’s.
2019: June New Marble steps were fitted in the Sanctuary and hand rails were provided in keeping with the Disability Discrimination Act. The PP was very pleased with the work and says that he himself is one of those who benefit from the hand rails.
2019: July The PP took a few days off to get himself fitted with a new hip. He was pleased with the five star treatment at the Golden Jubilee International Hospital and in no time at all, was back on the job.
2020: March World-wide pandemic struck the human race and decimated all areas of living – political, social, sporting and religious. It was the worst disaster to hit the human race in living memory and possibly for all time: a Corona Virus, with the name Covid-19. It was highly contagious and deadly. In order to limit the spread of the virus, drastic measures had to be taken. Extraordinary times demanded extraordinary measures. We were living in unprecedented times. On 19th March, the Feast of St Joseph, we were instructed to cease the celebration of Holy Mass. On 21st March we got an instruction from the Diocese to lock up churches completely. Drastic, but necessary measures. Churches could not open, even for private prayer.
In order to keep in touch with as many of our people as possible, we started to stream Mass every day on YouTube. This proved a great comfort to many people and a life saver for the pastoral team. It gave us the feeling that we were still connecting with our people. This arrangement continues to the present time, but on 26th June we were allowed to open the church for private prayer and on 15th July we were allowed to celebrate Mass in the church but with numbers restricted to 50. There was a restriction on numbers in Church for all church gatherings, e.g 20 for weddings, funerals and baptisms. The distance allowed between people stands at 2 metres and face masks (coverings) must be worn. People must sanitise hands on entering and leaving church. A new group of volunteers was established “the Covid-19 Team” – this group were charged with the responsibility of making sure that Government guidelines/instructions were adhered to in relation to distancing etc. They worked tirelessly to keep us all safe.
The question on everyone’s lips is “when will we get back to normal?” Nobody can give a definite answer. The answer is . . . somewhere in the future.
Many say that we may never see life again as it was in the past.
2020: April The Sacraments of First Reconciliation, First Holy Communion and Confirmation were all postponed from April/May because of Covid-19.
These Sacraments were administered in September so that the children involved would not miss out on a vital part of their spiritual development.
2020: 1st and 2nd September First Confessions.
2020: 3rd and 5th September Confirmation
2020: 12th and 13th September First Holy Communion
2020: 19th September First Holy Communion for Drumpark School for special needs children
2020: 15th Sep Diaconate Ordination. The parish community got a great lift during this time of Pandemic with the Ordination to the Permanent Diaconate of parishioner George Frame. The PP was overjoyed that such a wonderful event should be celebrated in our parish. He wishes George every good wish and success in his ministry.
Amid the difficulties imposed upon the people by Covid-19, the Parish Priest brought the curtain down on his ministry with a happy note, the award of the Diocesan Benemerenti Medal to five parishioners; John Halavage, Joseph Bancewicz, Maura Coll, Sr Moira Duffy and Charlie Coogans. Bishop Toal visited the parish and presented the medals on 21st Sep. The Parish Priest was visibly pleased and remarked that all 5 are worthy recipients.
DEPARTURE Fr Eamonn Sweeney, the PP for 25 years retires from his office, having reached retirement age. Sr Moira, the Pastoral Assistant, and Kathleen McArdle, the housekeeper, both of whom arrived in St Patrick’s with him, retire also. In a farewell talk, Fr Sweeney thanked Sr Moira for her tireless work in the parish and Kathleen for being an excellent housekeeper. He said that they would be leaving with heavy hearts but with many treasured memories. They left St Patrick’s on 29th Sep.
ARRIVAL 29th Sep Fr Kevin McGoldrick arrives as Parish Priest at St Patrick’s. The parish community welcomes him as their new Parish Priest and wish him a long and successful ministry.
A new era for St Patrick’s begins.
NOTE 1: In the first decade of the 21st. Century (2000-2009) 842 baptisms took place, 321 couples were married and 464 funeral services were conducted in St. Patrick’s.
During the same 10 year period the St Patrick’s community contributed to Special Collections for various charities the amount of £45,519. The Parish Priest is very pleased with this as it shows that the Gospel message of caring for others is alive and well in St Patrick’s.
NOTE 2: On 24 August 1995 Father Eamonn Sweeney and Sister Moira Duffy arrived and formed the Pastoral Team. Sixteen years later this team is still in place and although they are not as young as they used to be they still treasure every new day in St. Patrick’. They always acknowledge the support and co-operation they receive from the community in all that they do.
NOTE 3: On retiring from his office on 29 September 2020 as Parish Priest of St Patrick’s Parish, the Parish Priest, Fr Eamonn Sweeney, felt it was appropriate that after 25 years of ministry he should give an account of his stewardship, at least that part of it that relates to the Sacraments. During his time, there were 2,059 Baptisms, 668 marriages and 1,263 funeral services.
NOTE 4: Fr Sweeney takes up residence as a retired priest at St Bridget’s Parish in Newmains, but plans to spend considerable periods of time with family members in Co Mayo.
The twin deeply perched doorways are reached by steep stairs from Main Street, while above them a three light window, thirty feet high, points towards the small twin light window with a quatrefoil in the apex of the gable, and the coping surmounted by a Celtic finial cross. Stepped buttresses emphasise these soaring lights, while two sets of flanking twin windows, each 24 feet high, assist in this illusion of great height. Yet, it is only in the interior that we see these windows at their best, with the light streaming through. Surely, Pugin conceived such an expanse of windows for the display of stained, or painted glass, for which they are admirably suited. Also, Pugin’s design for a traditional main frontage of three storeys defined by string courses also assists the illusion. Furthermore, his use of Gothic elements such as gabled skew-putts, hoodmoulds over the windows, trefoiled lights with mouchettes and cinquefoils above, adds movement and necessary points of interest to the frontage.
detracts from Pugin’s wonderful achievement. The chancel ceiling, and upper reaches of the chancel walls, are decorated with symbols representing the mysteries of Christ’s life, death and resurrection.
The high altar was erected in 1902 in memory of Canon Michael O’Keefe, at a cost of over £500. The green fronted marble altar stone decorated with a gold encircled cross, was supported by the twin marble colonnettes on which it stands today, but it originally stood before the reredos. The altar was moved forward to take account of the liturgical changes inaugurated by Vatican II.
The lecterns have been refashioned from the original pulpit. The pulpit was built with contrasting marble, highly polished, its panels filled with blind arcading with trefoils, the quatrefoils above deeply cusped.
The two aisle chapel altars were erected in January 1905. Again the designer was Peter Paul Pugin, and the builders were once more Bolton and Son of Shelton. The reredos of each was again
cut from Devon beerstone (also liberally painted),each consisting of a central niche with flanking panels. The aisle chapel to the left is dedicated to the Virgin Mary,
and was erected in memory of John Canon McCay; that to the right is dedicated to the Sacred Heart, commemorating the parents of the O’Hear family.
Our Lady of Lourdes, also cut from Caen stone, fills the central niche of the Lady Chapel, and is painted too. The flanking panels consist of daggers and trefoils, with contrasting marble. The altar is supported by marble columns, and the frontal is divided into three panels, the centre panel filled with lilies in bas-relief, while the side panels have stylised crosses formed by four deeply cusped quatre-foils. The niche of the altar in the Sacred Heart Chapel sits above a sacrament house, again with a shining brass door. The canopied niche is fronted by a deeply cusped cinquefoil. The flanking panels consist of deeply cusped and encircled mouchettes over two smaller panels filled by dainty kneeling angels, beautifully sculpted in bas-relief, against a background of contrasting marble. The altar is supported on two
marble colonettes, the frontal decorated with trellis work.
The high altar with flanking aisle chapels is a medieval concept, and this is Pugin’s precedent, for by uniting the aisle chapels to the chancel, using arches, he is adding another dimension to his design. Indeed, he is closely identifying the arcading throughout the church with the chancel and aisle chapel arches, such that they become a unifying element, where everything leads towards and ends at the altar where the Eucharistic mysteries are performed. This is really the underlying momentum which has encouraged the development of ecclesiastical architecture since the Church became the official religion of Rome and its empire.
St Patrick’s ought to be a fine example of the final phase of the Gothic Revival, yet it is not, for as the forms and elements used in St Patrick’s Church and others illustrate, Peter Paul Pugin did not follow his father’s precepts. Nor can his designs be said to copy, never mind capture the spirit of the English Decorated, as seen in some of the great English cathedrals or parish churches. Indeed, it can be said that his church designs consist of forms and elements peculiar to himself. Moreover, apart from the encircled daggers
lighting the aisle chapels, he made no attempt to capture the spirit and beautiful character of reticulated and flowing tracery of the Decorated period, which is found in the intricacy and deep cusping of reticulated and flowing tracery.
Even though St Patrick’s cannot be described as a classic example of Gothic Revival architecture, it is nevertheless, a rather dignified church both on the exterior and in the interior. In appearance St Patrick’s, like its sister churches, was quite different from any church previously built in the Monklands, for as designed by Pugin it consisted of a nave, aisles, chancel, baptistry and sacristry. Also the fact that it sits high above Main Street at the top of flights of steep stairs, accentuates its height, as does its sets of tall narrow windows; and since it occupies a prime site in the town centre it is constantly in the public eye. In its own way it is a remarkable building, and the fact that is now a grade B Listed gives greater credence to that statement, and also further adds to its status as the most prominent church in town.
Dr. Philip E Mc Williams, PhD
The transfer of the excellent Willis Organ from Clifton Church to St. Patrick’s Church deserves a mention. The instrument, which led the Church of Scotland congregation for almost 135 years, now leads the Catholic congregation of St. Patrick’s in singing the praise of God, which echoes the truth that it is the One God that we worship.
A service of Dedication and Thanksgiving took place on Sunday, 8 November 2009 in St. Patrick’s Church, Coatbridge.It was ecumenical in nature. Members of both communities filled the church to capacity. Five favourite hymns were selected by each parish. In total nine different organists accompanied the hymn singing and at times the roof was in danger of being raised. On this historic occasion the hymns sung were:
In a brochure/hymn sheet to accompany the service the Parish Priest wrote the following words:
“The transfer of the excellent Willis Organ from Clifton Parish Church to St. Patrick’s deserves to be mentioned when the history of both parishes is recorded. It is an event of both historical and ecumenical significance. The instrument which led the Church of Scotland Congregation for 135 years now leads the Catholic Congregation of St. Patrick’s in singing the praises of God which echoes the truth that it is the one true God that we worship. I have no doubt that the event will be remembered and spoken of for generations to come. This service, ecumenical in nature is also a service of praise and thanksgiving and this is reflected in the choice of hymns for the occasion.”
The parish secretary (and Pastoral Assistant) wrote a letter of thanks to the Rev. Fiona Nicolson, minister at New St. Andrew’s Parish Church expressing the gratitude of the St. Patrick’s Community for their generosity in gifting this wonderful instrument to St. Patrick’s.
“War, what is it good for? Absolutely nothing, yeah.”
This is the opening line of the song “War” by Edwin Starr.
The lyrics of the song tells us everything we need to know about the futility of war. Can any of us find anything good that can be said about war?
This book brings into sharp focus, the horrors of the First World War (1914-1918).
We can pause for a while and reflect on the cold reality of its consequences for more than 200 of our St Patrick’s parishioners who gave their lives. Many of the victims were young men, some in their teens, many just boys, marching off, saying goodbye to family and friends, never to return home again. What thoughts filled their hearts? Did they fully realise the cause they were fighting for? Were their hearts filled with fear and terror at the thought of facing the enemy?
War is nothing new. War is as old as the human race. There is abundant evidence to be found in the books of the Old Testament of war and warring factions, and indeed many of the conflicts we read there, show the intervention of God and his approval of one side or other in the conflict.
Whether old or new, war is no less horrific. I have always viewed war as a horrific, barbaric, horrendous and savage way to settle differences. War is futile but even in the 21st Century, this fact seems to be lost to the powers that be.
This year, as we celebrate the centenary of the end of the First World War, while the day to day cares and concerns of life can diminish the memories of that sad event, it is vitally important that we never forget the sacrifice made by these brave men. The present St Patrick’s church building was quite new, less than 20 years old at the start of World War I. Many of these soldiers sat in our seats and prayed before our altar. This book serves as a powerful reminder to us that we should never forget, that we should always remember prayerfully the former parishioners who gave their lives. May they rest eternally in peace.
Researching and gathering the material contained within these pages was without doubt a mammoth task. It was undertaken and completed single-handedly by Dr Robert Corrins and we should all be grateful to him for that. Many hours of many weeks and months have resulted in the production of a historical document that would sit well on all our book shelves.
18/04/1915 Banks James King’s Own Scottish Borderers
21/03/1918 Barton Patrick Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
15/04/1918 Barton Robert John Royal Scots
15/07/1916 Bell William Royal Scots
16/08/1917 Bogan Thomas James Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
29/08/1917 Bogan William Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
12/03/1916 Boland Richard Royal Scots Fusiliers
25/09/1915 Brennan Patrick Highland Light Infantry
27/04/1916 Brown William Royal Dublin Fusiliers
21/08/1915 Burns John Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
28/07/1918 Burns John Royal Scots Fusiliers
01/07/1916 Campbell William Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
25/06/1916 Cantwell Edward Cameron Highlanders
14/07/1916 Carroll James Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)
10/03/1915 Cassidy James Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)
03/07/1918 Clenaghan John Royal Garrison Artillery
29/01/1916 Clenaghan William Irish Guards
02/09/1918 Colgan Patrick Royal Irish Regiment
12/06/1917 Collins James Royal Scots Fusiliers
23/06/1917 Conlin James Highland Light Infantry
06/09/1916 Connelly James Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)
10/10/1918 Corrigan John Royal Scots
09/08/1916 Cosgrove John Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
09/10/1917 Costello Hugh Irish Guards
25/09/1915 Cowan Henry Highland Light Infantry
22/03/1918 Coyle Charles Highland Light Infantry
07/04/1918 Coyle Peter Highland Light Infantry
08/11/1917 Croal Patrick Highland Light Infantry
15/11/1914 Daily Francis Scots Guards
25/09/1915 Daly Hugh Highland Light Infantry
18/07/1918 Daly John Royal Irish Fusiliers
18/11/1916 Dillon David Highland Light Infantry
06/10/1918 Dillon James Royal Scots Fusiliers
04/05/1917 Dillon William Seaforth Highlanders
16/07/1916 Docherty Hugh Royal Scots
29/09/1915 Docherty James Royal Scots Fusiliers
19/10/1914 Docherty James Seaforth Highlanders
26/10/1917 Docherty Richard Northumberland Fusiliers
22/04/1916 Donnelly Felix Seaforth Highlanders
18/08/1918 Donnelly John Royal Scots
31/05/1916 Donnelly Michael RN HMS Invincible
22/03/1918 Dornan Patrick Joseph Highland Light Infantry
21/04/1915 Downie John Royal Scots
01/11/1918 Downie Peter Gordon Highlanders
07/07/1916 Doyle Henry Manchester Regiment
18/09/1918 Doyle James Highland Light Infantry
31/05/1918 Duffin James Royal Field Artillery
20/05/1918 Fawcett Peter Highland Light Infantry
22/08/1917 Feighan Michael James Machine Gun Corps
27/03/1916 Finnigan Thomas Royal Scots Fusiliers
09/08/1915 Fitzsimmons Thomas Royal Dublin Fusiliers
10/08/1915 Flood Thomas King’s Own (Royal Lancaster Regiment)
05/07/1915 Foley Thomas John Highland Light Infantry
02/09/1917 Fox James Royal Irish Fusiliers
13/11/1918 Gallacher Patrick Royal Engineers
18/04/1915 Gartland James King’s Own Scottish Borderers
27/04/1916 Gartland William Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
21/10/1914 Givens Thomas Royal Scots Fusiliers
24/04/1917 Glen Joseph Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
25/09/1915 Gormley John Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)
03/03/1919 Greechan James Royal Field Artillery
25/08/1918 Greenaway Thomas RNVR
22/08/1917 Gunn Peter Royal Engineers
30/09/1916 Hart James Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
01/01/1915 Hart John Royal Scots Fusiliers
17/02/1916 Hart Samuel Royal Scots Fusiliers
02/10/1918 Harty Michael Gordon Highlanders
01/07/1916 Harvey Michael Royal Dublin Fusiliers
18/07/1916 Heaney James Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)
14/09/1916 Henderson George Royal Field Artillery
21/12/1914 Henderson Hugh Highland Light Infantry
25/09/1915 Hennon Paul Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
03/11/1918 Hickey Patrick Highland Light Infantry
06/02/1916 Hillan Patrick Highland Light Infantry
01/07/1916 Hourigan Thomas Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
16/05/1917 Hughes Andrew RND Howe
22/04/1917 Hughes Francis Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve
25/09/1915 Hughes James Royal Scots Fusiliers
14/10/1914 Hunter John Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
23/04/1917 Hughes Michael King’s Own Scottish Borderers
16/05/1915 Irwin Alexander Royal Irish Fusiliers
08/11/1916 Joyce Thomas Australian Infantry, A.I.F.
15/05/1915 Kane James Royal Engineers
29/10/1916 Kearney John Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)
15/06/1916 Kelly Robert Royal Engineers
29/03/1915 Kilts Bernard RN
02/03/1915 King Francis Royal Irish Rifles
14/03/1915 Larkin Joseph Royal Irish Fusiliers
05/07/1918 Larkin Thomas Cheshire Regiment
20/08/1915 Lavelle James Delargey Highland Light Infantry
25/09/1915 Lawrie Matthew Gordon Highlanders
30/11/1916 Lennon James Leinster Regiment
23/08/1915 Leonard Denis Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
30/03/1917 Loan Hugh Highland Light Infantry
30/12/1916 Mallon James Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)
21/05/1915 Martin John J. Seaforth Highlanders
25/09/1915 McAdams John Gordon Highlanders
10/03/1915 McAloon Peter Royal Scots
24/03/1918 McArdle John Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)
26/09/1915 McAulay James Highland Light Infantry
25/09/1915 McAulay John Highland Light Infantry
05/10/1915 McCabe John Royal Irish Fusiliers
21/01/1916 McCabe Thomas Connaught Rangers
08/03/1916 McCafferty John Highland Light Infantry
21/03/1918 McCann Patrick Highland Light Infantry
21/03/1918 McCluskey George Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
02/03/1917 McCluskey John Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
07/01/1916 McComish Edward King’s Own Scottish Borderers
11/11/1914 McCormick Michael Royal Scots Fusiliers
25/04/1915 McCourt Michael Royal Irish Fusiliers
28/03/1918 McCourt Patrick Royal Scots
09/04/1918 McCready Hamilton A. Highland Light Infantry
25/03/1918 McCulloch Philip Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)
10/11/1917 McDade Christopher Royal Munster Fusiliers
30/07/1916 McDowall Bernard Royal Scots Fusiliers
16/03/1915 McFarlane Bernard Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)
25/09/1915 McFarlane Robert Highland Light Infantry
13/10/1914 McGeown James Seaforth Highlanders
02/07/1915 McGiff Thomas Highland Light Infantry
19/05/1917 McGivern Bernard Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
30/07/1916 McGoldrick Thomas Gordon Highlanders
26/09/1915 McGonnagle Francis Highland Light Infantry
21/09/1918 McGuire Michael Leinster Regiment
07/12/1915 McGuire Thomas Connaught Rangers
30/08/1918 McIlwee James Australian Infantry, A.I.F.
27/11/1918 McInally John Royal Army Service Corps
??/??/1918 McKeown Francis Patrick US Infantry
03/10/1918 McKeown James North Staffordshire Regiment
09/05/1915 McKeown William John Black Watch (Roy. Highlanders)
21/10/1918 McLaughlin Edward Royal Scots
21/08/1914 McLaughlin John Highland Light Infantry
04/05/1918 McClean William Royal Irish Regiment
20/06/1917 McNulty Charles Machine Gun Corps (Infantry)
27/04/1916 McPake Alexander Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve
04/06/1916 McShane Frederick Royal Scots Fusiliers
01/07/1916 McShane Peter Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
30/09/1918 McSherry James King’s Own Scottish Borderers
25/09/1915 McTaggart William Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
14/11/1914 McVey Henry Highland Light Infantry
03/09/1916 McWilliams Patrick Leinster Regiment
25/04/1918 Mead Charles Royal Scots
26/09/1915 Mooney Daniel Royal Scots Fusiliers
15/06/1915 Mooney John Highland Light Infantry
18/08/1916 Mooney Joseph Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
25/09/1915 Moore George Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)
19/01/1916 Munro John Highland Light Infantry
08/12/1915 Murphy Andrew Royal Naval Volunteer Reserve
25/09/1915 Murphy John Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
09/04/1917 Murphy Owen Royal Scots
15/10/1918 Murphy William Royal Inniskilling Fusiliers
17/08/1915 Murray John Gordon Highlanders
23/03/1918 Neeson Titus Royal Field Artillery
09/05/1917 Neville Peter Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
26/04/1915 O’Brien William King’s Own Scottish Borderers
02/09/1918 O’Connor Henry Royal Irish Fusiliers
07/11/1914 O’Connor John Connaught Rangers
27/08/1918 O’Connor William Royal Scots
17/07/1915 O’Hara Francis Highland Light Infantry
09/10/1918 O’Hare Peter Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)
04/06/1918 O’Hare Thomas Highland Light Infantry
10/11/1914 O’Neil William King’s Own Scottish Borderers
14/04/1918 O’Neill Edward Royal Engineers
07/09/1917 O’Neill Francis Royal Irish Fusiliers
22/08/1915 O’Neill Hugh King’s Own Scottish Borderers
02/11/1916 O’Neill James Lancashire Fusiliers
11/04/1917 O’Neill John Royal Irish Fusiliers
12/10/1916 O’Neill Luke Royal Irish Fusiliers
17/02/1919 O’Rourke Hugh Royal Engineers
09/09/1916 O’Rourke Joseph Royal Scots
01/04/1918 O’Shea John Irish Guards
22/05/1918 Paton James Highland Light Infantry
12/07/1915 Phee Patrick Highland Light Infantry
25/09/1915 Quinn Patrick Cameron Highlanders
01/08/1917 Reavey James Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)
17/11/1914 Reid John Royal Scots Fusiliers
22/11/1914 Reilly James Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)
26/04/1916 Reilly James Highland Light Infantry
13/08/1916 Reilly William Argyll and Sutherland Highlanders
24/11/1917 Rice James Highland Light Infantry
25/04/1915 Shields Humphrey Royal Irish Fusiliers
29/09/1918 Strain Bernard Royal Dublin Fusiliers
27/08/1917 Thompson Thomas Cameronians (Scottish Rifles)
13/05/1915 Toal James Royal Engineers
24/11/1917 Tracey James Highland Light Infantry
20/12/1918 Turkington Edward Royal Scots Fusiliers
19/12/1914 Turkington James Highland Light Infantry
07/06/1917 Turkington John Royal Irish Fusiliers
19/12/1914 Turkington William Highland Light Infantry
21/11/1917 Ward Owen Australian Infantry, A.I.F.
20/07/1916 Ward Patrick Connaught Rangers
21/01/1916 Wotherspoon Robert Black Watch (Royal Highlanders)